Old August 8th 08, 12:44 AM posted to rec.aviation.homebuilt
Charles

Default Drilling out old rivets questions?

Using a chisel and then punching out the rivet shank with a pin punch works
OK with button head rivets and a sturdy structure. I'd keep away from the
chisel until you had practiced for a while.
The drill bit sizes mentioned work well but sometimes the rivet shank is
very tightly imbedded in the underlying sheet and trying to punch it out
with a pin punch doesn't work well as the thin underlying sheet distorts
easily. Sometimes drilling all the way through is the only practical way but
you have to be VERY carefull doing this to keep from distorting the original
hole. Use new, sharp bits, and go slowly.
"Fonz" wrote in message
Thanks stealth.
I'll give both a try.
Rob.

"Stealth Pilot" wrote in message
On Thu, 7 Aug 2008 20:35:56 +1000, "Fonz" wrote:

G'Day all.
I have a Cessna 310L cockpit which I will be converting to a simulator.
I wish for it to stay as authentic as possible, including method of
construction and cosmetics.
As such I have to repair/replace and modify some aluminium panels.
My question:
What is the best way to remove solid rivets?

you need to drill out the rivet without enlarging or "figure 8'ing"
the underlying hole. that is the basic principle.
whatever way works for you without damaging the underlying sheet is
ok.

ordinary drills are often not stiff enough to stay in position.
double ended jobber drills that have shorter flutes and are thus
stiffer can be useful.

you should also search out a drill called variously a centre drill or
a slocumbe drill. machinists shops carry them. they have a stepped end
and are comparitively very stiff. a number 2 or number 3 would be
useful.

my old LAME swore by a blunt quarter inch wood chisel, it had just the
right end sharpness and could be used to pling off the head sideways
with a tap from a hammer. the rivet body was then tapped out of the
hole with a pin punch.

if you can work precisely and develop a gentle touch you should have
no problems.

Stealth pilot