View Single Post
Old June 1st 18, 04:57 AM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
JS[_5_]
external usenet poster

Default Rigger who will pack a 20 year old chute?

It is just propaganda.
Please look at the Parachute Shop link that Roy posted. Then open the response letter from FAA.
Without a Service Bulletin being issued, it's merely a recommendation by the people who want to sell you another chute. If you abuse the chute it may be valid. Look after a chute and it lasts much longer.
Or don't put any effort in, and believe that Budweiser is "the king of beers" because Anheuser Busch said so.
Jim

On Thursday, May 31, 2018 at 8:12:38 PM UTC-7, Mike C wrote:
On Thursday, May 31, 2018 at 7:54:45 PM UTC-6, wrote:
OK, I understand the various interpretations of the "20 year life limit," but we don't have a rigger locally that will touch a 20 year old chute.

So, apparently there are riggers that WILL offer this service. Can you lucky folks who know who they are provide some contact information? I would be willing to pay shipping both ways and pay the repack fees to extend the usefulness (or potential usefulness) of my chute.

I have a Para-Phernalia "Softie," manufactured and purchased new in 2000 from Allen Silver, (who is actually a really nice guy that has provided a great deal of valuable guidance and service to the gliding community). I am not willing to knock him for what is probably intended as good advice but has to, unfortunately, encompass the entire range of customers who may not treat their vital piece of survival equipment properly.

You know, the guys who just leave their chute in a hot car trunk with the rubber stowage bands melting into the riser cords, the ones who leave the thing in a high-humidity environment and turn it into a Petri Dish suitable for mold cultivation and so on.

Any contact info would be welcomed by many on RAS, plus your rigger might be grateful enough for the added business that he might buy you a beer. However, having been in the company of jumpers, I realize that this is unlikely.

PARA-PHERNALIA

1.4 SERVICE LIFE
Independent testing of aged nylon materials has proven that its strength degrades over time, therefore, Para-Phernalia, Inc. and Free Flight Enterprises have established a 20-year service life from the date of component manufacture for the Softie Pilot Emergency System and the Preserve
line of emergency parachutes

The Softie has a TSO 20 year limit, so you are right, probably no one will repack your chute.

Seems like Strong Parachutes are the best value when longevity and resale value are considered.

Mike