Old March 30th 07, 06:46 PM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
J. Nieuwenhuize

Default What percentage of USA glider pilots compete?

On 28 mrt, 19:27, Jeremy Zawodny wrote:
I'm curious to know if anyone knows what percentage of USA based glider
pilots fly in official contests (less formal individual club contests
are less interesting to me). If I were to use my personal contacts (the
pilots I fly with), I'd put the number around 10-15% but given the
amount of coverage given to competitions, I'm starting to wonder if
that's anywhere close to being accurate.

Jeremy
HpH 304C #62

In the Netherlands my estimate is we have about 200 pilots who have
flown multiple competitions in the past two years, including some
regional comps. That'd amount to 5% of the gliding community (those
who have the insurance) and about 10% of those with a gliding license.
Not too bad, but then we do have a lot of clubs with glass/carbon
where it is very common to take the club's ships to competitions.

J. Nieuwenhuize.