Old December 9th 03, 07:54 AM
Roger Halstead

On 8 Dec 2003 11:36:25 -0800, (Michael) wrote:

"O. Sami Saydjari" wrote
1. Fast: 160 kts
2. Price range: $75K-$120K
3. Four Seater
4. Range: 800nm
5. Useful Payload (with full fuel); 650lbs
6. Retains its value well over time
7. Reliable: Engine TBO of 2000 hrs, good saftey record
8. Insurable for a pilot with only 350 hrs PIC experience (no HP/complex
time)

No airplane in that class really has a good safety record (in the
sense that something like a C-172 does). These airplanes are used for
transportation, not training and going around the patch. Virtually
any certified tri-gear landplane that can be bought for $120K in good
condition is going to be insurable for you, but anything in the
performance class you want will require 10-25 hours dual and a big hit
in the first year (think $3K+).

True with the dual, but ...
I don't pay near that with 80,000 full hull coverage and never did.
Max was around $1500 per year.

(N833R, S# CD-2 Worlds oldest Debonair?)
www.rogerhalstead.com
Return address modified due to dumb virus checkers

I have been thinking about a Piper Comanche 260 and a Piper Turbo Arrow
III/IV. I was considering a Mooney M20J, but they feel a little cramped
in the cabin to me. What I am looking for is the best dollars/kts
airplane (what we call price/performance in the computer biz) that meets
the above requirements. I would really appreciate suggestions and advice.

First off, never compare top speeds between normally aspirated and
turbo - they are not comparable. The turbo needs to go high to get
its speed, and that means you never go very fast when Westbound.
Pretty quick going East, though. Unless you NEED to go high (meaning
you fly in the mountains) a turbo is rarely cost-effective.

The Comanche 260 is a good choice for what you want - make sure it has
at least 84 gallons of fuel. The Mooney is cramped in the cabin - if
you're going to fly long legs, you won't enjoy it unless you are thin.
Other planes you might consider:

A 1960's era Bonanza. Most Bonanzas of that era don't make book speed
because they were tested clean (without antennas) but they're still
the fastest thing around with a reasonably roomy cabin.

A Viking. Wood wings are an issue (get one from a dry climate and
hangar it) but purchase price is low, and the speed is there. The
14-19 is the tailwheel version - way cool, but insurance will be an
issue.

You may also consider twins. The only ones that really fit your
mission profile while maintianing similar operating costs are the Twin
Comanche and Beech Travel Air. Insurance will be higher ($4K+) if you
are instrument rated, and ridiculous ($6K+) if you are not. Purchase
price will be lower than a comparably performing single.

Michael