Old October 21st 08, 03:46 PM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
Eric Greenwell

Default the trend is............

wrote:
Doesn't a winch launch use more fuel than a self-launch? And won't the
fuel he uses to commute to work eat into any savings from winch launching?

--

We average 1/2 liter of fuel per winch launch. This has been the
average over the last 10 years. We launch from a 1000 meter field and

That's really good! My ASH 26 E uses a little more than that for the
same launch height, but not much more. It does save me about 10 gallons
of auto fuel when I fly, because I can fly from the local airport
instead of driving to the nearest gliderport.

--
Eric Greenwell - Washington State, USA

* Updated! "Transponders in Sailplanes"
http://tinyurl.com/y739x4
* New Jan '08 - sections on Mode S, TPAS, ADS-B, Flarm, more

* "A Guide to Self-launching Sailplane Operation" at www.motorglider.org