Old February 17th 08, 06:06 PM posted to rec.aviation.ifr
Sam Spade

Default Garmin 430 rquestion- does the approach always have to be activatedvia "activate approach"?

Stan Prevost wrote:

FPL, push small knob to get cursor, scroll down to airport, CLR, ENTER
to confirm, FPL to get back to NAV page.

vs

PROC, ENTER.

True enough. But, the bit of extra stuff earlier on is none the less
easier and I don't have to worry about making sure I am where I am
supposed to be if I "activate."

And if you have to change approaches, which sometimes happens, you can't
select a new one without a destination airport.

It is rare to fly the full approach in a TRACON environment. But, if it
is a single approach in each direction, you will usually still know
early on. If it is a major airport then all bets are off, so I would
wait until the vectors begin, then do it your way, but with VTF.

However, if the airport has runway specific STARs, then there is another
level of complexity, which can easily overwhelm single-pilot operations.