Old June 4th 08, 10:51 PM posted to rec.aviation.piloting
Bertie the Bunyip[_24_]

Default Perfect loop

More_Flaps wrote in news:12a345a9-5ce8-4938-9b3e-
:

On Jun 5, 9:18*am, Bertie the Bunyip wrote:
More_Flaps wrote in news:7d7074a7-c7bc-4a8b-

9fe8-
:

My aerobatic traing is going very well, I'm having all the fun I
thought it should provide. So far I haven't messed up a manouver

but
I'm nagged by the thought: How can I tell if my loops are perfect
circles? At present I go to full power at the vertical phase and

over
the top but then throttle back a lot as I go vertical again .My

wings
are level when inverted. I'm pulling 3.5 G as I pull up and level

out
again. I hit my wake every time but I wonder how much I should
throttle back on the descent phase. Should I just try to keep rpm
constant? Any ifeas BtB or Dudley or other aerobatic pilot?

Dudley's the guy, but the only really reliable way I know of to tell
until you become experienced enough to know by feel is to get an

outside
observer, or, better yet, a tripod mounted recording of them.
Into the wind helps a lot BTW, but "L" shaped or "granny" loops are
pretty much standard at this stage of your game!

OK but it's not practical for me to have a ground camera. Should rpm
be constant at all stages? What do you use in your Citabria? Could I
try counting through verticals to give me an indication? With a 3.5 G
entry I'm puliing about 0.5 G at the top is that going to give me a
near circular loop?

Mine's stil not flying! Aaaargh! More delays now. I'm going on a fairly
rusty memory now, so take it al with a grain of salt, but just get a
friend to take a quick snip of you from a distance if you can. The other
option is a good ground observer, preferably with a viewing glass for
the loops ( something clear with a circle on it so he can hold it up
against your figure to compare)
Max poser as soon as it will take it all the way up and a bit over the
top and then reducing on the way down to about a third throttle or less
on the way down sounds about right for a Citabria. Your G figures sound
about right, though, so you're probably doing pretty good.

Bertie