View Single Post
Old July 21st 17, 04:18 PM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
John Carlyle
external usenet poster

Default PowerFlarm “Own Transponder Detection" Rate

Hi, Ramy,
Thanks for posting those configuration values. The important PCAS parameters to which you are defaulting a
Modesalt - default is 1 (get altitude from Mode S signal)
Ownmodec - default is 0 (aggressive mode used with Mode C transponder)
Modec - default is 1 (enable processing of Mode C targets, ie, PCAS)
Since you don’t get false alerts from your own transponder you probably don’t want to “fix” things. But you really should put the command $PFLAC,S,MODESALT,0 into your configuration file, since you have a Mode C transponder. This will not only read altitude values from the PF internal pressure sensor, the altitude will be much less quantized than the 100 foot intervals in a Mode S signal. Right now you are configure to sometimes getting an altitude value from a stray Mode S signal.

-John, Q3

On Friday, July 21, 2017 at 1:20:39 AM UTC-4, Ramy wrote:
On Friday, July 14, 2017 at 7:31:21 AM UTC-7, John Carlyle wrote:
Many thanks, Ramy. What you have doesn't seem too different from my set-up, except I have about 8 feet separation between the transponder antenna and the Flarm ADS-B antenna in a fiberglass fuselage ship. Perhaps the 27's carbon fuselage does some helpful attenuation of your own transponder signal?

I look forward to seeing your configuration file. OWNMODEC in my configuration file is set to Aggressive (= 0). I don't know whether this is the default value.

Do other 27/29 owners who are seeing false Mode C alerts have their transponder and Flarm antennas mounted similarly to Ramy's?

-John, Q3

On Friday, July 14, 2017 at 2:14:58 AM UTC-4, Ramy wrote:
1- Both powerflarm antennas in the nose (no carbon in the nose section of my 27a).
2- transponder antenna under the seat pan in front of the stick (so not far from the powerflarm antenna, maybe 3 feet at the most.
3 - configuration file may need to wait until next week or so. BTW I recall there is an option to suppress own transponder more aggressively, I just used the default.

I really never had false alert from my own transponder, no kidding. And my mode C alert is working very well.

Ramy

Here is the relevant part of my config file. The rest is default.

$pflac,s,acft,1
$pflac,s,xpdr,1
$pflac,s,id,XXXXXX
$pflac,s,pcasvrange,600
$pflac,s,pcasrange,5000

Ramy