Old February 3rd 05, 04:39 PM
Gary Drescher

"Gary Mishler" wrote in message
news:PnsMd.46821$EG1.42977@attbi_s53...
"Joe Johnson" wrote in message
. com...
To Peter R. and Gary Mishler. Say for sake of argument that the pilots
missed a thin layer of frost. If discovered, are there any remedies
short
of a full, formal deicing?

They used to say you could "polish" the frost smooth with a rag or gloved
hand, although I have not heard of that in a long time and I would never
do it on a supercritical wing shape. *Maybe* a light single engine, but
never a business jet.

I often scrape and brush frost from the wings and tail (light single) with a
gloved hand if deicing is unavailable. I wouldn't settle for less than total
removal, though--no mere polishing-smooth.

--Gary