Old May 31st 04, 03:59 AM
Jeb Hoge

Scott Ferrin wrote in message . ..
In the latest AW&ST it mentions the F-22's radar as having a range of
"over 100 miles" and implies that it's greater than the F-15's. I
recall reading MANY times in the 80's of the Eagle's radar being more
like 150 miles and the Tomcat's nearly 200. I've also read that the
ASG-18 in the YF-12 (which was the one the AWG-9 was based on) was
good for over 300. So what gives? Are they purposly underselling
the APG-77? Is the "over 100 miles" figure against fighter-sized
targets while the high figures of the other radars were against
bomber-sized targets? Inquiring minds want to know.

My guess is it's talking about cruise missiles, since that article's
context was primarily about cruise missile intercept-and-kill
missions. I talked to David Fulghum (author of the article and a
neighbor of mine) the day after I read the article online and he said
that there were more details to be gotten that he wasn't able to dig
out in the time he had, but he was talking about the cruise missile
mission to me then, too.