Old July 3rd 18, 11:27 PM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
Jonathan St. Cloud

Default So the Discus 2 is 20 years old this year.

On Monday, July 2, 2018 at 12:15:06 PM UTC-7, Paul T wrote:
Makes you wonder it all that time why there hasn't been a better
performing Standard Class machine. Have we reached the limits of modern
unflapped aerodynamics, or is simply that there is no perceived demand for

a new standard glass glider and therefore not economic to produce?

I lament the passing of interest in this class. My first glider was an ASW-24. I had 75 hours in Grob's/ ASK-21's and baby Grob's. Taught myself XC flying in that bird. Standard is as simple as it gets, so you can concentrate on our early xc adventures, plus it has lots of performance. I had a goal of getting 400 hours that year, flew every chance I got, played hooky from work, took soaring vacations, ended the year with 275 hours and a boat lot of experience flying the Sierra Mountains. If I had super powers I would have Standard class, eighteen meter, and open. The standards could be 15 meter or 15/18 meter. The eighteen meter birds would be 18 or 18/21 and the glorious open birds would be legal to 900Kg.