Old February 27th 19, 05:26 PM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
Dan Marotta

Default high tow vs low tow

Some gliders have the CG hook just forward of the gear doors.Â* I always
raised the gear in my LAK-17a on tow (at a safe altitude, of course) to
get a marginal improvement in climb rate.Â* Everyone says that low tow is
best for XC tows.Â* I've only been on the front end of the rope on an XC
tow, so I can't address the back end.

On 2/27/2019 12:02 AM, wrote:
In Australia we now transition higher, I use around 200’ before going into low tow.
I have flown high tow at many overeas comps and still find low tow much more stable.
The only time I fly high tow at home is on long cross country tows where I also pull the gear up (nose hook only!) and let the tug pilot accelerate in level flight.
The issue of tug pilots ignoring what type and weight of glider behind them is much more of a safety issue than the simple high/low equasion.
(I am a tug pilot too!)
Tom

--
Dan, 5J