Old July 16th 06, 11:00 PM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
John Galloway[_1_]

Default Scottish Glider Crash

At 16:06 16 July 2006, Martin Gregorie wrote:
wrote:
The Minden Soaring Club webpage recently published
an article written
by Pepe Gresa, from Spain, on the exactly this subject
matter:

http://mindensoaringclub.com/int2/in...com_content&ta
sk=view&id=73&Itemid=5

The article is informative, and stresses the fact
that ELT's do save
lives...

That's a good article, though the Filser link emphasizes
the point I was
making: both their ELTs are 121.5 and 243 MHz. No mention
of 406 MHz
transmitters.

--
martin@ | Martin Gregorie
gregorie. | Essex, UK

The Wings and Wheels site has some good information
about the current ELT situation and some of the practical
issues regarding the newer 406MHz units - at:

http://www.wingsandwheels.com/page13.htm

To my mind none of the currently available fixed 406
units are ideal but it seems likely that more practical
(and hopefully cheaper) models will appear over the
next couple of years. Until then I will stick with
my 121.5/243 MHz Filser ELT2.

John Galloway