Old September 6th 03, 06:08 AM
Big John

Rich

As I recall from many years ago.

The Denny birds were small, 6-10 feet large model airplanes.

Culver also built a radio controlled bird that was used as a drone and
could also be ferried with a pilot in the single seat cockpit.
Nomenclature was PQ-14 and many times called a Culver Cadet.

There was an earlier version with fixed gear called PQ-8. The PQ-14
had retractable gear and fixed pitch prop.

Go to Google and search for PQ-14 to get more detailed info.

EAA and Planes of Fame museums both have one.

Big John

On Fri, 5 Sep 2003 20:52:56 -0700, "Richard Isakson"
wrote:

"Big John" wrote ...
tongaloa

Regional (sp) Denny (the actor in Hollywood) set up a company and
built 'drones' for target practice in WWII.

I doubt if any of the airframes still exist outside of museums?

Wandering around Arlington a few of years ago I noticed in one of the
hangars what looked like a 5/8ths plywood P-40 disassembled on the floor. I
asked the guy in the hanger about it and he said it was a World War II
target drone. It could be flown by a pilot or radio controlled. There was
a fire in that hangar a couple of years ago and I never found out if it
survived or not.

Rich