Old December 19th 20, 02:18 PM posted to rec.aviation.soaring

Default Arduino Based Soaring Related Devices

Eric,

The BID for the Panasonic LiFe batteries is a great idea for my next project.

Thanks,

Bill
On Saturday, December 19, 2020 at 8:57:50 AM UTC-5, Eric Greenwell wrote:
wrote on 12/18/2020 8:16 AM:
Over the last two years I've designed and built three Arduino based soaring related devices.. They a 1) Tow Altitude Recorder with tow plane and ground units, 2) Cockpit Dual Battery Voltage & Temp Monitor, and 3)Trailer Lights Monitor.

Panasonic LiFe Batteries are now available with Bluetooth reporting of their status (volts,
current, state of charge, temperature) to a smartphone. I think a small, dedicated, panel
mounted display (BID - "battery information display") would be much more useful in-flight.

For batteries that don't have a built-in Bluetooth, you could develop a "BMS" (battery
measurement system) that mounts on each battery, and reports to the BID.