Old October 28th 08, 08:54 PM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
kirk.stant

Default SeeYou Mobile with SN10B data

On Oct 28, 7:48*am, JJ Sinclair wrote:
Why *would you want a PDA when you have an SN10?

Sorry, JJ, have to disagree with you on this one, big time. Do you
fly with a sectional? How much time does it take heads down to find a
suitable airport while scratching down low at some new contest
location? The SN10s moving map is too basic, and can require too much
knob twisting to get to the information desired. I use my SN10 for
what it is best at - racing data, accurate winds, final glides,
thermal inforation, vario. The moving map is my backup if my PDA
croaks. I use my PDA as a digital sectional, with the task drawn on,
and all landable fields inrange highlighted, and some data displayed
that is not available from the SN10.

And it only takes a glance to use, instead of trying to fish out the
sectional, unfold it, find out you have the wrong side, the proceed to
thermal IMC with a cockpit full of paper! No thanks! BTDT!

I do agree that the trick is to only go heads down and use the magic
when necessary - but heck, that includes fancy varios and even the
airspeed indicator! But I'm sure you used to preach that to your
students when you were and IP, just as I did as an IWSO, back when we
flew diesel jets with steam-powered radars....

Plus, if all the newbies have fancy PDAs in their cockpits, it makes
it easier for us old clowns to pass them while they are heads down
playing with their toys!

Cheers!

Kirk
66