Old October 29th 08, 02:31 AM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
Darryl Ramm

Default SeeYou Mobile with SN10B data

On Oct 28, 4:01*pm, Eric Greenwell wrote:
JJ Sinclair wrote:
I use the 'options' page on my SN10, keep it set on the nearest
landable field (and next nearest landable). What it tells me is
exactly what I need to know, distance and altitude needed to get
there. No need to be looking at a sectional.

Stick with the SN10 if you are flying a familiar area. But, if you fly
like I do in *UNfamiliar* areas about half the time each year, the extra
information I get with a PDA and SeeYou Mobile is invaluable. I'm
picking out my course as I go (love the OLC!), so "situational
awareness" is my prime need.

When I ask the local PDA
drivers, simple questions like; how long you been on course or what's
your speed so far.................their stumpen dor an answer! Guess
what I should be asking is; What are you looking for in a PDA that
isn't already on your SN10?

I rarely fly tasks, so knowing instantly how long I've been on course
(course? I don't need no stinking course!) has no value (two button
clicks and I can read, however). I just fly in one direction until I
realize I might not make it back, then I turn around. And speed? I just
fly as fast as I can without getting into trouble. I don't need to know
what the speed is.

--
Eric Greenwell - Washington State, USA

* Updated! "Transponders in Sailplanes"http://tinyurl.com/y739x4
* * * New Jan '08 - sections on Mode S, TPAS, ADS-B, Flarm, more

* "A Guide to Self-launching Sailplane Operation" atwww.motorglider.org

And you don't need to worry about landout options because you fly one
of those noisy !@#$ motorgliders. (just channeling JJ).

The biggest problem with PDAs IMHO is lack of daylight visibility. In
my mid-40's its a real issue. At JJ's age... ah stick with the SN10.

I'm addicted to the capabilities of SeeYou Mobile. Folks who like the
SN-10 really seem to love it, but I've had frustrating experience with
SN-10 in rental gliders like the trying to edit an active task - all
driven by completely not knowing what I was doing. The ability to
bring my "world" with me all loaded up on a PDA in my own glider or in
a rental glider is a big plus. The inability to take the SN-10 home
and play with it and get it all configured etc. was an issue for me,
and I pulled one out of a glider I purchased.

Anyhow as usual style nobody has helped Kirk out... but are you sure
that SeeYou Mobile supports the SN10 wind calculations? My (sketchy)
understanding is that the SN10 can speak extended sentences with
calculated wind data but I'm not sure SeeYou Mobile will do anything
with that. I don't think the SN10 transmits TAS data that SeeYou
Mobile would use to improve it's own internal wind calculations.
That's at least how it works with the Cambridge 302 (SeeYou Mobile
does a great job enhancing the wind calculations with the C-302 TAS
data but ignores the wind calculations from the C-302). But if the
SN-10 is not transmitting TAS data maybe SeeYou does use the SN-10
wind. Paging Dave Nadler...

I expect (hope?) the Naviter guys would primarily want to do their own
wind calculations using TAS data from external devices. This should
give end-users better consistency across data sources and leave them
as developers a bit more in of their own application. The only
exception might be in flight computer like the LX-7007 that can
leverage a magnetometer for wind calculations. I have no idea what
they do there.

The user forums at Naviter may be a better place to get help.

Regards

Darryl