Old July 12th 12, 05:40 AM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
Eric Greenwell[_4_]

Default PowerFLARM antenna mounts

On 7/8/2012 10:31 PM, Chris Nicholas wrote:
We are all faced with fitting these things to legacy gliders of
varying geometry and materials. The carbon fibre fuselage seems to
pose most problems.

I hope glider designers in future make installation of transponders,
Flarm and PowerFlarm etc. easier, without dead spots or vision
impairment.

You can already order your new glider with a transponder antenna, and
I'm sure you'll be able to order it with PowerFlarm antennas, once
PowerFlarm settles on a design (some time next year?).

I like the idea of mounting the brick in the top of the tail, where a
lot of gliders have a place for battery. My glider already has a two
wire cable there with 12 volts on it. I'd still have to run a cable
forward to the display.

The antennas could mounted inside the box in some cases; otherwise, the
two antennas could be mounted on a short extension of the TE probe
mount. The TE mount location should give the antennas an awesome view of
the world, even on a carbon glider; mounting in the box could also work
well on gliders with non-carbon horizontal stabilizers.

email me)
- "Transponders in Sailplanes - Feb/2010" also ADS-B, PCAS, Flarm
http://tinyurl.com/yb3xywl
- "A Guide to Self-launching Sailplane Operation Mar/2004" Much of what
you need to know tinyurl.com/yfs7tnz