Old November 8th 20, 10:58 PM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
2G

Default The Apology

On Friday, November 6, 2020 at 4:04:47 PM UTC-8, Chip Bearden wrote:
On Friday, November 6, 2020 at 6:40:32 PM UTC-5, 2G wrote:
It's deplorable all right: you called my wife a liar and STILL haven't apologized.

Tom

This discussion is full of remarks that beg for an apology, none of which has been forthcoming. So I'll go first. Some context:

[Tom] I showed [the ad] to my wife and she thought it was cute, and others here have noted a similar reaction.

[Chip] Tell the truth, Tom. What's your answer to "honey, does this dress make my butt look big?" Yeah, I thought so. This is what focus groups are for.

[Tom] And, then, you insulted my wife by implying that she was being dishonest. I think you owe her an apology.

I think I implied--by using a humorous-but-admittedly sexist analogy that many men in relationships with women are familiar with--that your wife might well have told you what you wanted to hear to be diplomatic or to protect your ego or to avoid an animated discussion.

But I don't know her so if my use of humor hurt or offended her, then I apologize.

Now it's your turn, dude.

I suggest you start by apologizing to Mike Westbrook and Hugh Grandstaff for saying they were the only ones who had used the phrase "childless corporate whores". That was factually untrue and you owe those guys an apology.

If we can close this out with apologies on both sides, however small, MAYBE then we can feel like we made some progress. Otherwise, this embarrassment is now the 6th-most-viewed RAS discussion of 2020 with a good chance of making the top 5. The mind boggles.

Chip Bearden
JB

Chip, I insisted on an apology, not because I thought you were being serious, (I knew you weren't), but to demonstrate how ridiculous this whole situation has become. These days, you can literally be fired for telling a joke.. We all need to get a grip.

BTW, I DIDN'T say that 'Mike Westbrook and Hugh Grandstaff were the only ones who had used the phrase "childless corporate whores".' Go check it out: I said that I "could not find" any other references after doing a search, which I did.

Tom