Old May 30th 07, 04:37 PM posted to rec.aviation.soaring

Default GPS intrference from Zaon PCAS ??

On May 29, 7:47 pm, Carl wrote:
My GPS-NAV has been reliable until a few weeks ago with my Aero 1550
running GN2 when I started using my Zaon PCAS velcro mounted on my
instrument panel cover which has it about 3-4" above the GPS-NAV. My
GPS-NAV now goes into GPS wait frequently and has problems locking up
to the constellation. Has anyone else had this experience? Could the
oscillator in the PCAS be an interference source or its harmonics.
I'll try to do some experimenting with and without it this weekend.
Thanks - Carl
V2b-7E

Yesterday, I experienced the same problem with my newly installed Zaon
working with a Cambridge 302 with GNII on my Aero 1520.
The Zaon was powered from the ship's battery. The GNII indicated "GPS
Wait", the Cambridge 302 showed only two GPS receive bars instead of
the normal three bars, and the GNII wind calculation immediately went
to about 60 kts.
The Zaon was mounted on the top of the instrument panel cover just
above the Cambridge 302. I'll try one of the filtering or internal
battery solutions offered here and previously.

Dave
Discus CS -9Q