Old May 31st 07, 05:12 AM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
COLIN LAMB

Default GPS intrference from Zaon PCAS ??

I do not know what the circuitry in the Zaon is like, but assuming there it
is the cause of the problem, then it would likely either be because it
shielded the other unit or is putting out a signal that interferes with it.

Assuming the Zaon is emitting a signal, my first thought is that it is as a
result of a mix in the front end of it. That could be another transmitted
signal - either by a nearby transponder or any other transmitter. That
would require two signal sources, but the resultant signal could be in the
band received by the gps receiver.

Do some detective work. See if you can cause the signal level on the gps to
change - or if the change is full time or only under certain conditions.

If there is a spurious signal being emitted by the Zaon, then it could be
through the power lead - and that could be attacted with ferrite beads.

Colin