Old February 5th 21, 05:52 PM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
kinsell

Default What is involved regulation wise adding an electric motor to aglider?

On 2/2/21 6:09 PM, David Scott wrote:
On Tuesday, February 2, 2021 at 1:26:10 PM UTC-8, David Scott wrote:
I DON'T mean to stir up trouble on this forum with this question, especially being new, but have been wondering about this for some time. I am wondering how feasible it would be to do this with either a homebuilt or experimental glider here in the US?

I figure this has been asked but didn't find any threads on it.

Thank you for your responses. To be clear I don't have a sailplane but would like to get into the sport and the answers to this question would possibly affect what glider I would get. I am smart enough to get all my ducks in a row before doing anything, and this is the first I have talked about it. From an engineering standpoint, it doesn't look too difficult, navigating the regulations is where I expect the most trouble.

Putting together a motorglider is a strange path towards getting
involved with the sport. Might be better to take lessons, get the
rating, and have some time under your belt before taking on a project
like this.

In my local club, I see people going solo and maybe getting their
rating, and immediately thinking about buying a glider. This is with a
reasonable selection of under utilized club ships sitting around. I
encourage them to wait a couple years first.

If you're all set on owning an electric motorglider, there's a
reasonable selection of Silent 2 Electro's on W&W. Do yourself and the
owners a big favor and pick up one of those.

-Dave