Old January 30th 13, 01:20 PM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
kirk.stant

Default USA and FAI rules

On Tuesday, January 29, 2013 10:57:31 PM UTC-6, noel.wade wrote:
Marc -

A properly-called MAT can essentially simulate an AT. Why the hate

for MATs? Have you simply had bad experiences because they weren't

properly called?

The key phrase is "properly-called". The real problem a lot of us have with all these new-fangled tasks (Area, MAT, PST) is that they are not being used correctly - they are copouts for CDs who aren't willing to send the fleet out on a challenging task with the possibility of landing out. That has resulted in such horrors as the one-turnpoint MAT (Or - "you get to be CD for the day!") and the AAT with consecutive 30 mile areas that almost overlap ("OLC with a time limit"). With all due respect to KS, I still prefer the old AT - because unless everybody is going to about the same place, IT ISN'T A RACE - ITS A MONTY PYTHON SKIT!

And yes, I have CD'd, and called ATs where everybody landed out, and AATs when I couldn't figure out the weather on a Sunday. It's not easy. But if it was easy, everybody would be doing it!

So, if you have a variety of skills and ships, then a 5 or 6 tp MAT may be the solution. If there is a potential of thunderstorms near one turnpoint, then an AAT with a big area near the risky turnpoint (and small for the safe ones) is an appropriate call. But if the forecast is for a solid day of thermals, then call a nice long (which means at least 4 hours, not 2.5!) AT and have a RACE!

Then there is the PST. An abomination. Here is a task that actively keeps pilots AWAY from contests. Why bother? Just use OLC and skip the scorer altogether.

Bah Humbug, I'm digging out my turnpoint photo book and cameras, and I think there is an old start gate rig around here somewhere...

Kirk
66