Old January 19th 06, 01:17 AM posted to rec.aviation.homebuilt

Default Corvair conversion engines - cracked crank link

Richard Lamb wrote:

Cal Vanize wrote:

The issue us addressed in this page:

http://www.flycorvair.com/crankissues.html

The date on the page is 15 January 2006 - just released information.

Ron Webb wrote:

Do you have a link for the broken cranks? I cannot find anything
about broken cranks on the "Corvair authority" site.

http://www.flycorvair.com/

I did find the following statement:

"I have never seen a cracked head, cylinder, case, crank or rod in
the hundreds of Corvair engines I have inspected. It is a very strong
engine."

The Corvair engine has been flying since the early 1960's. Seems odd
that ANY flaw would only now be being discovered.

that dose seem like a lot of broken cranks...

Three out of five cranks cracked. All with 200 or less hours. That's a
small sampling, but not very good results.

The article does indicate that the cranks were from engines in planes
that were flying. That's the good news. But does that also mean that
the engines need a teardown and inspection as part of every oil change?