Old July 7th 03, 06:33 AM
Eric Scheie

I earlier wrote:

I don't recall anyone wearing any awards or insignia they weren't

"qualified" to wear. I do remember some awards, and some claims some

people
made that I thought were BS.

Then,

"Jake Donovan" wrote in message

A little confusion here as you disagree then agree. I had a pilot report

me in Summer Whites wearing an Air Medal with 4 Stars and a Strike device.
I had his service jacket on my desk. He had 2 Air Medals. His excuse was
his wife did his ribbons.

To which I replied,

Sir, to clairfy my statement. While I don't recall running into anyone
wearing wings, or a SWO pin, or a Budweiser, etc. who wasn't qualified,
there were a number of people who wore awards I thought were BS. (That's not
to say there's never been anyone wearing unauthorized warfare insignia.) I
never checked anyone's service record, and their awards may all be well
documented, but what some of them received awards for was just BS. I've seen
others make claims about awards they said they were getting or submitting
themselves for that were BS as well.

A couple of examples:

1. Frigate CO returns from Desert Storm where the ship had spent time in the
NAG. He is soon after sporting a Bronze Star.
2. More than one helo pilot who had been part of ops in the Red Sea during
Desert Shield/Storm returned trying to get air medals. As one told me, "Yup,
I'm getting 4 air medals." Neither received their air medals.

I hope that clarifies my previous statement. We have the same disdain for
someone wearing uniform devices they are not qualified for. I'm sure the
pilot you mentioned was given some...counseling.

I think someone misrepresented themselves a bit to Midlant, and
unfortunately, he's still having his leg pulled today.

V/R

Eric Scheie