Old March 29th 06, 07:07 PM posted to rec.aviation.soaring

Default HpH 304CZ as first sailplane

Not exactly responsive to your question, but don't go directly from the 2-33
to glass with flaps and retracts. There are a number of operations around
the country with glass two-seaters with retractable gear and spending 15-20
hours with an instructor in one of these will make the transition both
easier and safer. Dual cross-country is a marvelous learning technique. On
our coast, Caracole, Williams and others have Duo Discii, Great Western a
DG505, and Warner Springs a Stemme, no less. I think the west coast DG
dealer has a DG-1000. Estrella has Grobs and an MDM Fox.

Time spent in these aircraft with really good instructors will also give you
a better framework for choosing a glider. I loved the first single seat
glider I flew, but I wouldn't be happy with it now.

Adequate time spent with a good instructor in one of these ships will, IMHO,
make the transition both safer and more satisfying. Let the instructor
inform the decision as to when you're ready to go it alone. Also, don't
rule out a good used aircraft as your first ship. As long as you spring for
a thorough prebuy inspection by a sailplane savvy A&P, they provide a lot
for the money and tend to maintain their value. Marty Eiler at Caracole
does prebuy inspections using a multipage checklist that's worth every
penny. Robert Mudd in Moriarity, NM provides a similar service. I'm sure
there are others. A good reason for having the prebuy done by an A&P is
that he/she can provide an estimate of the cost of needed (or just wanted)
repairs as part of the process.

Ray Warshaw
1LK