Old May 21st 04, 03:02 PM
ET

"Russell Kent" wrote in
:

Wow I was there, and saw those cherokee's as well. I swear the left
wingtip of the following bird was barely a foot off the ground as he
appeared to vear right to avoid the bird in front. I believe they
were told to land one short and one long, but obviously the one
landing long thought that 100 feet from the numbers was long
enough.....

I think we'll use this example as reason enough in the future to do
the colored dots thing a la Oshkosh.

Russell Kent

GOOD IDEA me thinks....

Many of the planes that came in final in pairs I thought were too close.
Almost none of the ones I observed landing in pairs had the lead plane
land after the first taxiway as was specified in the procedures.

I saw quite a few that looked to my untrained eye like the following
aircraft had to stomp on the brakes to avoid the lead one... I remember
thinking, "what if the following plane needed to do a go-around after a
touch... how would he make sure and avoid taking a piece of the lead
aircraft's tail with him?"

Until I saw the cherokee's "dance" I thought perhaps this was my
"commmom sense" in conflict with acceptable proceedures, since none of
my avaition knowledge is formal (yet to take lesson one... yet...).

I suppose that it's really the following crafts job to maintain
seperation and either slow, s-turn, or go around if the leading craft is
slower than expected, but when the aircraft that was told to land long
practically nails the numbers.... that could be a problem.

--
ET

"A common mistake people make when trying to design something
fools."---- Douglas Adams