Old June 25th 04, 11:03 PM
gary pearson

What you cannot see from the Antonov picture is the 4 crew seats behind the
pilots. 2 flight engineers on the right side of the cockpit, 1 radio
operator and 1 navigator on the left side. The fans on the antonov are not
for the windsheild, they are cooling fans for the pilots. I know one of them
is pointing at the windshield but they are mounted on a rotating base. I
spent 2 years flying around teh world on An124 charters for Air Foyle. They
are very noisy aircraft although I did have my own cabin so it was quite
comfortable aside from the noise. The worst thing is that you cannot put
toilet paper in teh toilet after you have used it, it goes in a waste bag
hanging by the sink. I hated those toilets.

"Emilio" wrote in message
Antonov cockpit:

http://www.airliners.net/open.file/391247/L/

Galaxy cockpit:

http://www.airliners.net/open.file/498959/L/

Aside from a truck parked on Galaxys hood, what is the major design
philosophy difference between American and Russian cockpit layout?

Russian
cockpit seems simpler and has large number of idiot lights. American
cockpit if filled with toggle switches. Antonov design seems to show more
clear separation of job task between the pilot and engineer. Any

opinions?

What with the big fan that is pointed at the windshield on Antonov?

Galaxy
has the fan pointed at the windshield as well. Don't the have defrost air
vents by the windshield, a common 1950 automobile design?

Emilio.