Old February 16th 20, 12:14 PM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
Martin Gregorie[_6_]

Default Libelle suitability for beginners

On Sun, 16 Feb 2020 01:13:34 -0800, son_of_flubber wrote:

At 170 pounds with chute, I've never had any bouncing or kiting problems
with the Junior trimmed for 60 knots during takeoff. In the Junior I fly
that is notch 4/10, with 1/10 being full aft trim. YMMV, but I don't
think that it is at all fair to suggest that the Junior is prone to PIO
on takeoff.

I'm 56kg without a 'chute and use notch 7/10 for both take-off and
landing - thats 55 kts - in calm conditions. Works for both aero tow and
winch. We're taught "55kts + half windspeed for approach" and, yes I have
used a 70kt approach in a Junior on a rather lively day - and had the
base leg quite close to the threshhold!

Its also worth noticing the fixed trim tabs on the elevator. AFAICT they
don't do anything much under 70 kts, but are there to 'hint' to a new
solo pilot that he maybe doesn't want to fly as fast as he's going - by
the time you get to 90kts in a Junior the stick is pushing back at you
quite hard. Vne is 116kts.

--
Martin | martin at
Gregorie | gregorie dot org