Old July 8th 03, 12:40 AM
Harry Andreas

In article , "Paul Austin"
wrote:

"The Enlightenment" wrote

"Paul Austin" wrote

"Henry J. Cobb" wrote
There will be a B3 manned heavy bomber.
There's this problem. Nanotube-stiffened composites have

a_long_way to
go before anyone would use them for primary structure. The

nanotubes
themselves are gleams in folks eyes and based on carbon fiber
composite experience, there will be a fairly long learning

experience
before they are ready for prime time.

last time I heard just plain (not even woven) nanotube was

$2300/gram.

choke and I thought space-grade stuff was expensive. The price will
come down as we learn to make them in industrial quantities but I
still don't see a pressing need to substantially lighter primary
structure in a bomb-truck.

It's only money for fuel and range limitations.

The lighter you can make the primary structure, the less power
it takes to fly your weapons. Better fuel fraction, less fuel used,
less $$, better range.

--
Harry Andreas
Engineering raconteur