Old July 19th 08, 02:23 PM posted to rec.aviation.homebuilt
denny

Default aircraft brakes were never designed for stopping aircraft.

On Jul 19, 7:27�am, "Vaughn Simon"
wrote:
"Stealth Pilot" wrote in message

just remember though that aircraft brakes are for holding the aircraft
not stopping it.

now brakes for commercial aircraft are different and they *are* used
for stopping, but the brakes on little lighties arent.
some people have yet to realise that.

� �Apparently Cessna has also yet to realize that.

From Cessna 152 POH: (Step 6 of short field landing procedure) "6. Brakes-- �
APPLY HEAVILY."

Good Morning! �;-)
Vaughn

Where do light and heavy begin? I have a 2,000 pound gross
weight airplane. We picked the brakes based on a start braking speed
of about 70 knots. I can do multiple stops from slower speeds during
high speed taxi testing. Braking capacity is mostly a funtion of how
much mass the disk has whcih in turn determines how much heat it can
absorb. Keep the brakes small to keep the airplane light and limit
your runway options. Add some mass and stop with brakes on shorter
runways. You're experimental. Take your pick. BTW, I changed my
brake pads after about 1,200 hours because they were getting thin, but
not worn out. For me, it's cheaper and easier to change brake pads
than tires worn out by long rollouts and long taxi distances.

Denny