Old May 24th 17, 03:22 AM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
2G

Default Scratch removal advice needed

On Sunday, May 21, 2017 at 7:14:44 PM UTC-7, BobW wrote:
On 5/21/2017 8:29 AM, MNLou wrote:
A week ago, I and my crew spent a fair part of day giving my glider a nice
wax job. So, of course, 5 days later I landed out in a nice, freshly
plowed corn field.

The landing went fine but, unfortunately, due to an uneven surface and
excessive braking, I put AG up on her nose a couple of times.

Sorry about the nose rubbing; welcome to a large club! I apologize in advance
for the (minor?) thread drift, but prevention is arguably a form of
amelioration ( ), so just in case this hasn't post-scrape already occurred
to you...

After my first dirt-rub in a plowed/smoothed field (my favored off-field
choice), I modified my braking technique to not use any until after getting a
roll-out feel for how much braking the field itself provided. With that known,
no more brake than just enough to where the tail lightens until the plane
stops (usually ~150 paced-off-feet for 15-meter glass; ~180 paced-off-feet for
a G-103 w. 2 aboard). Rationale: the arguably increased risk from a (very
slightly) longer roll-out is essentially nil since such fields are about as
guaranteed hole/big-rock free as anything short of a paved runway. No more
dirt-rubbing of the ship's nose...

YMMV,
Bob W.

I have NEVER had to use any wheel brake in a plowed field - I was stopped long before I even THOUGHT about using it.

Tom