Old December 24th 03, 10:12 PM
Jeff

this is the first time I heard of them having this conversion for the A36
bonanza, seems kinda like over kill for that plane. I have seen it for other
planes before.

the article said they also had to add tip tanks for the extra gas that thing
burns

Scott Skylane wrote:

Jeff wrote:

Anyone else read the article in the new private pilot mag ( think it was
pvt pilot) that had the A36 Bonanza turbo prop modification.
They listed is as almost a half a million dollar modification.

Jeff,
These have been around for quite a while, and they are nothing but an
exercise in compromises. First, there is no "yellow arc" allowed on the
airspeed indicator, so redline becomes top of the green. This restricts
you to pretty low true airspeeds at breathable altitudes. Stay down
low, go slow and burn A LOT of gas. Go up high, go fast, and suck on a
nose bag. Not to mention that Jet fuel weighs 10% more than av gas, and
to carry enough to go anywhere, you have to install tip tanks.
Unfortunately, gross takeoff weight does not get an appreciable
increase, so cabin payload for anything but touch and go's drops into
the pathetic range. Etc., etc...

They are little more than a fun toy for those that can afford them. If
I were playing with that much money, I'd look into a light pressurized twin.

Happy Flying!
Scott Skylane