Old July 18th 10, 04:15 PM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
Darryl Ramm

Default Which hand do I use on the stick of my Stemme

On Jul 17, 10:18*pm, EvValentin808
wrote:
kd6veb;734942 Wrote:

Hi Gang
There is another current thread on the Taurus concerning from which
seat does the PIC usually fly and which hand is on the stick. Well the
Stemme poses similar questions. On takeoff from the left seat I use my
left hand on the stick with right hand on the throttle. Landing right
hand on the stick and left hand on the spoilers. Reverse hands from
the right seat. And what about soaring? I now feel after 10 years of
flying the Stemme equally comfortable using either hand on the stick.
There is an advantage in doing this with any large heavy 2 place
glider if you are going fly solo for many hours. That is to avoid one
hand fatigue.
Dave

PS Unless you instruct and fly a lot I would not recommend switching
seats and flying from either. These super complex and fairly difficult
to fly machines require flying skills that you have to keep current to
be safe. Randomly switching the PIC seats adds complexity which is not
desirable.
DaveWell, I was the one who asked about the Taurus.

Unlike the Stemme, which has identical controls for both pilots, the
Taurus is a different story. It has one lever for spoilers in the center
console as well as the flap lever, so that matters. It might be the fact
that most people are right handed right? So the fact of using the
dominant hand on the stick to control the glider in a tedious landing
process.

--
EvValentin808

The S10 does not have throttle, trim and some other controls identical
for both piltos. So handling things like a go around on a power-on
landing will involve different hand actions. It has replicated stick,
flaps and spoiler controls.

Many non-tandem seat power aircraft are flown by the PIC with yoke or
stick in the left-hand. You get used to it regardless of which-handed
you are. As Dave is pointing out switching seats and muscle memory/
familiarity with a cockit layout may hurt you.

I've never done a tedious landing, the landings I worry about are the
exact opposite to tedious.

Darryl