Old November 18th 03, 03:27 PM

EDR wrote:

In article . net,
Hilton wrote:

John Clonts wrote:
I'm inbound on the final approach segment of the VOR-A approach at T82
(Fredericksburg Texas):

http://www.myairplane.com/databases/.../T82_vd_gA.pdf

At about 3 miles east of the airport I'm at the MDA of 2460 MSL ("766

AGL"),

This was (one of) your (almost) fatal mistake. At 2460' and 3 miles out,
you probably were not at 766 AGL. The 766 you see is NOT AGL as you would
first think. The 766' is the altitude above the airport elevation (for a
circling approach). Note that 1694 + 766 = 2460.

It's probable that a lot of instrument pilots do not know this.

Let's pick nits...
Is it
Height Above Aerodrome?
or
Height Above Threshhold?

In the U.S. it's HAT for straight-in and HAA for circling. Height Above
Touchdown (the touchdown elevation being the highest point on the first 3,000
feet of the runway). Height Above Airport is based on the highest terrain point
on the airport.