Old August 7th 15, 01:13 AM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
Steve Koerner

Default FLARM in Stealth Mode at US 15M/Standard Nationals - Loved It!

US glider racing has a very big problem right now -- and it definitely isn't leeching! It is declining participation, fewer contest being offered, contest that are so small that they can't accommodate the several glider classes. Every change that's contemplated now should be viewed through that lens first.

It's perplexing to me that we're experiencing such a decline. The fact is that racing is really fun. But it's even more fun when you know about the presence of gliders around you and especially when you know who's in those gliders. I was certainly disappointed to read that stealth had been mandated in NY. If it were entirely my choice, I'd disallow stealth mode and mandate contest ID association.

For me, the fun factor of PowerFlarm has been a great side benefit to the outstanding safety benefit that it accords. It's just dumb to trash that.