Old October 17th 20, 09:46 AM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
John Galloway[_2_]

Default Best Overall Motorglider available today?

Keep checking the fan belt - which is not very accessible (or simple to tension or replace). The ASH rotary is vulnerable to potentially serious and very expensive internal damage if the fan belt fails or falls off. In that case internal rotor air cooling stops, the engine rapidly overheats and also the rotor lubrication is compromised. The only in-flight indication is the rotor air temperature reading or alarm. I got it shut down quickly enough so that, although Schleicher said there would definitely be internal damage estimated at up to 20,000 euros + tax, I actually got lucky.

There are DIY monitoring solutions on the ASH26e support group.