5Z
external usenet poster

Default Engine Out Landing. Big Deal?

On Friday, March 25, 2011 10:41:58 AM UTC-7, Tim Taylor wrote:
Sad thing is the AOPA site never mention the obvious error that if he
had turned left rather than right he could have used the cross runway
in a smooth 270 degree turn rather than the 360 degree turn required
to go back to the same runway.

I assume you meant 180, then reverse 90 :-)

I would also think that a left turn would make more sense just because the pilot is on the left side of the plane, so can see better in that direction.. I see his first reaction was to push the nose forward, then a few seconds later the turn was started. During that time, I would be looking to both sides to choose the best direction. Of course, as a sailplane pilot, I would already have a turn direction chosen...

I got my airplane license after a few hundred hours in the glider. My first instructor pulled power on me in the practice area early every time. I always managed to set it up for a survivable landing. And this in a Grumman AA-1 Lynx, quite the flying brick. Next had me do most of my dual XC under the hood, and often at 1000' AGL so there would be more turbulence. He also pulled power on me a few times, but because we were so low, it was usually over an airport, but I didn't know that until I took the hood off.

Of course, given the option to analyze the situation before it happens is a HUGE help for us, which this pilot didn't get! I've had to think quickly on a few occasions, and although the outcome was always acceptable, I could easily do much better if given a second chance.

-Tom