Old September 20th 10, 06:57 AM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
Bruce Hoult

Default Future Club Training Gliders

On Sep 20, 2:26*am, bildan wrote:
This primary learning will transfer to a Grob and other gliders where
it puts the new pilot at risk of a damaging accident. *When a new
pilot really, really needs to stop, it's going to be hard for him not
to push the nose down.

When you really really need to stop, pushing the nose down hard works
well on anything that doesn't have a nose wheel. We were taught to do
it in an emergency in the Blanik L13 and I've seen it done in a Grob.

By "really really need to stop" I mean that you're going to die or be
seriously injured if you don't stop and you don't care about damaging
the nose skin and structure or slamming the tail back down afterwards.

Incidentally, someone landed their Cirrus on a suburban street here on
Sunday morning. They reportedly deliberately used the poles on either
side of a pedestrian crossing to slow down. I believe my instructors
mentioned tree trunks in this context, but whatever...

http://tvnz.co.nz/national-news/glid...-alive-3785681
http://www.stuff.co.nz/national/4144...g-and-a-prayer
http://www.nzherald.co.nz/nz/news/ar...ectid=10674749