Old February 21st 19, 02:47 PM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
BobW

Default TOW PLANE Accident

Take off/departure accidents seem very preventable. I've made it my job
to work on such prevention at my club and it has, at times, caused me to
be unpopular. Checklist discipline & cockpit discipline at both ends of
the rope save lives. Do it. Let's see if we can get through 2019 with
fewer than our running average of 6 USA gliding related fatalities.

Evan Ludeman / T8

Snip... I commend you for sending the message to your club
members, I think I will have a sign made that says, Don't Kill Your Tow
Pilot, and place it in plain view in the hangar. I am sure someone will ask
the stupid question, "What Does That Mean"!

My first thought-betting-nickel upon reading the NTSB report was,
"Stupidly-preventable-never-shoulda-happened-PIC-assisted-fatality."

Lotsa other thoughts, of course (e.g. Glad I'm not that instructor
*regardless* of actual reason(s) for the crash [feel free to invoke the
ever-ready 'age' rationale, here]. Thanks, NTSB, for the seasonal timeliness
of the reminder! Etc.)

And at the risk of being labeled a Safety Nazi, post that sign in the hangar!
Anyone who seriously asks, "What does that mean?" isn't asking a stupid
question. Others? Well, the continuing, sad, arguably-entirely-preventable,
deplorable history of tuggees killing tuggIES isn't a club anyone with an
ounce of common sense will want to join.

In any event, surely this topic is a discussion that should never be far from
active awareness in every glider pilot's mind...

Bob W.

---
https://www.avg.com