Old February 21st 19, 04:11 PM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
Jonathon May

Default TOW PLANE Accident

At 14:30 21 February 2019, Martin Gregorie wrote:
On Thu, 21 Feb 2019 14:02:56 +0000, Dave Walsh wrote:

..and another question: why do so many YouTube videos show the glider
pilot on tow NOT holding the release knob?
In fact it's hard to find a video where the glider pilot does hold the
release throughout the tow!
In a flapped machine that might require a flap change during the

initial
stages of the launch it's understandable, perhaps for a few seconds,

but
even after the flap change no one ever seems to hold the release knob.
In the dim and distant past when I was taught aerotows they was certain
to be very loud angry noises from the rear seat if one let go of the
yellow knob. Has something changed in the instructor manual?
Dave Walsh

Agreed.

Two seaters or single seaters and winching or aerotowing, when I'm in
control my left hand is holding the yellow knob from 'taking up slack' to

release.

That's what I was taught and that's what I do. No reason to do otherwise
in our club two-seaters and Juniors or my Libelle.

My only exception has been when moving flaps from negative to zero when
the ailerons bite in an ASW-20 on aero tow, but even then its hand back
on yellow knob right away.

--
Martin | martin at

you need an extended release cable or a piece of line on it so you can hook
it over your hand.
Can't change flap setting otherwise,and you can get in a position with the
stick hard over where you can't get to the handle in discus/ventus type
layout.
Gregorie | gregorie dot org