Old February 21st 19, 05:15 PM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
Vaughn Simon[_2_]

Default TOW PLANE Accident

On 2/21/2019 10:13 AM, Charlie M. (UH & 002 owner/pilot) wrote:
I don't hang onto the release during tow.
I never taught to hang onto the release during tow.

I wasn't taught to hold the release during tow, and I don't teach that
to my students. You are more far likely to cause an accident that way
(through PTT) than to ever prevent one.

That said! Every glider pilot should give serious thought to the
position of the left hand during (especially) early tow. Depending on
your glider and its cockpit ergonomics, the answer will not always be
the same. Myself, particularly in 2-place gliders, I often have my
closed fist firmly behind the spoiler handle. (Never with fingers
wrapped around it, because that could also lead to a PTT) This ensure
that the spoilers can't accidentally open, while at the same time
anchoring my hand near the release so that I can instantly grab it if
necessary.

YMMV

By all means, let's do whatever it takes to keep our tow pilots alive!

Vaughn

---
https://www.avg.com