Old February 28th 19, 11:03 AM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
Cookie

Default high tow vs low tow

What is the more controlling factor, is the tow plane is continuously climbing up and away from the wash. Leaving the wash behind if you will.

At say 60 knots, and 10 knots climb..that is a 1 in 6 angle.....giving the glider pilot the impression that the wash is dropping...but really the glider and towplane are climbing compared to the wash.

I've done many "level" (not climbing) tows. The wash essentially comes straight back. To fly outside of the wash, the glider must be either above the tow plane, or below it.

Cookie

reasons. I don't remember feeling any wake turbulence just following the
tow plane at the same height, climbing or level flight.

Its caused by a wing generating lift. If you assume that the wake's
downward angle is 1/3 of the wing's AOA you won't be far wrong.

--
Martin | martin at
Gregorie | gregorie dot org