Old June 30th 04, 04:31 PM
Andy Durbin

Tony Verhulst wrote in message ...
cp wrote:
Question:

Can I, a commercial & instrument rated power and glider pilot legally
fly IFR in a motorglider (which is IFR certified) if I do not have a
current medical?

Oh, this is a good one :-). I suspect that your certificate reads
"instrument, airplane" but, a motor glider is not an airplane, as far as
the FAA is concerned.

Tony V.

An instrument airplane rating is required to operate IFR in a glider.

Currency requirements as defined in

Section 61.57: Recent flight experience: Pilot in command.

(2) For the purpose of obtaining instrument experience in a glider,
performed and logged under actual or simulated instrument conditions--
(i) At least 3 hours of instrument time in flight, of which 1\1/2\
hours may be acquired in an airplane or a glider if no passengers are
to be carried; or
(ii) 3 hours of instrument time in flight in a glider if a passenger
is to be carried.

Note that being intrument current in airplanes does not assure
instrument currency in gliders.

Andy