Old November 24th 07, 05:34 PM posted to rec.aviation.piloting
F. Baum

Default Early winter weather, night flying and a terrible accident

On Nov 23, 10:01 pm, Longworth wrote:
I could not
help but to wonder why the pilot attempted the approach in the fog
instead of diverting to nearby airports with better weather. However,
I had made few judgment errors in the last 6 years of flying, I could
see how the situation could have deteriorated slowly thus escaping the
pilot's awareness, how past successful experience could have led to
complacency and overestimation of one's capability and how
environmental pressure could have lured one into making bad
decision. Hai Longworth

Hai, this is truly sad . Before you jump to conclusions about the
pilot's judgement i would offer some insight.First, in deteriorating
conditions the tower can update the RVR more often than the METAR ,
and for each runway. Second, 3000 RVR isnt poor judgement (Especially
with a 400 FT ceiling). I doubt most of us would think twice about
initiating this approach. Depending on the runway lighting even a
comercial operator can hand fly down to 1800 RVR (Cat Cor D ) in an
old steam gauge AC so I doubt it would be much of a deal in a Cirrus
with a lower approach category. Lets hope that we can learn something
from this after further investigation, but lets not condem the PIC
just yet.
F Baum