Old November 24th 07, 06:13 PM posted to rec.aviation.piloting
Darkwing

Default Early winter weather, night flying and a terrible accident

"Jay Honeck" wrote in message
I know we all tend to ask a lot of questions and tend to pan aviation
when
something like this happens but how many people died in car crash during
this holiday? My guess would be a lot. An accident is an accident whether
it
is on car, boat, airplane, bicycle, it is equally tragic in any scenario.

True enough. I just heard about a terrible accident near my hometown
in Wisconsin, where a couple of teenagers were killed when they lost
control of their car and crossed the center line, going head-on into
opposing traffic on I-43.

That was but one of...hundreds(?) of fatal car wrecks over the holiday
weekend. Every instance is tragic, but we should remember that an
airplane accident is no more -- and no less -- tragic than any other
fatal accident, lest we scare off any potential newbies.
--
Jay Honeck
Iowa City, IA

Yep I agree and that is my thoughts on the subject. I know of a couple in an
RV last week that passed the centerline as well and had a head on with a
semi and both in the RV died. They were both retired and doing a tour of
America by RV for fun. So unfortunately accidents do happen, we all just
have to put in our best and try to be vigilant at all times no matter the
mode of transportation. I think people "accept" the risk of driving more
because it is more natural. Evolution didn't prepare us to fly so I think
there is more fear involved and a bigger sense of helplessness in aviation
most of which is hardwired IMO.