Old June 29th 08, 04:42 PM posted to rec.aviation.student,rec.aviation.piloting
muff528

Default Things to remember in very hot weather

"B A R R Y" wrote in message
muff528 wrote:
I don't actually drive the airplane, although I have in the past taken
controls of a Tri-Pacer and a Cherokee for extended distances while
flying places with my boss back in the 70's.

So you're not familiar with winds & temp aloft charts, etc...?

The standard rate of temperature drop is more common than you're thinking.

No, I haven't studied such charts, etc. beyond any incidental interest. I
guess I shouldn't have given specific numbers. My point only is that it gets
cooler as you go higher. Yes, barring inversions, etc., the standard rate
should hold true. Also, on the ground, the heat a person feels is not only
the air temperature (that is warmed by radiation from the ground). He also
feels heat from that radiation directly. So with 43C air temperature at the
ground, the person is going to feel hotter than 43C air temp at some
distance from the ground radiation.