Old February 5th 06, 02:06 AM posted to rec.aviation.homebuilt,rec.aviation.piloting

Default 1 Fatal ...r.a.h or r.a.p?

Richard Lamb wrote:
Jerry Springer wrote:

Richard Lamb wrote:

Jerry Springer wrote:

A good share of these stories are about factory built certified
aircraft. Most kitbuilt aircraft now days are very safe.

Jerry

Only if they don't fly, Jerry...

And there are a lot of homebuilts that hardly ever leave the ground.

Richard

Not sure what you mean they are safe only if they do not fly? Are you
speaking of all aircraft in general or are you speaking only of
experimental aircraft? If you read the "2004 Nall" report you will
find that homebuilt aircraft have about the same rate of accidents as
factory built aircraft do. Ron W posted some statistic that relate to
first flight accidents, most of which are caused by fuel problems. This
risk can be eliminated by proper fuel flow testing before the first
flight IMO.

To the Cessna 172 driver that asked for proof that homebuilt aircraft
were safe please post you information saying they are not as safe as
any other aircraft flying. I find that is mostly the uniformed that
that have a preconceived notion that an aircraft built at home must not
be as safe as factory built aircraft. Most homebuilders are very
particulier and realize that it is their butts and their families and
friends that will be flying in these creations.

Jerry(flying my RV-6 over 16 years)Springer

Easy Jerry, Didn't mean to offend (or frighten) anyone.

Yes, among the RV gang, most of them DO fly - some a lot.
But there are others who simply don't.
And there are a significant fraction that almost NEVER fly.

Now, according to Ron's statistics...
Factory test flights don't seem to have the same kind of numbers.

But, of course, YMMV...

Richard

Richard, I did not take offense nor was I frightened. :-) Having
attended FIRC every two years for 30 years I see the numbers and they
are not much different than those of factory built aircraft. I was
trying to figure out if you thought homebuilts were more dangerous than
any other type of aircraft? I got the impression that the original
poster was glad that he had not bought a kitbuilt airplane because they
were more dangerous. Anyone that is interested in some interesting
statistics can dnload the Nall report from the AOPA web site:

http://www.aopa.org/asf/publications/

All of us that fly I believe understand that there is a certain amount
of risk involved.

Jerry