Old March 19th 07, 08:45 PM posted to rec.aviation.homebuilt
Anthony W

Default Flying from North America to Hawaii

Al G wrote:

A lat/long calculation showed 1421nm, but it is still a long way. I think my
longest solo/single engine leg was around 2100nm.

I think it would take a massive set of balls to fly a single
piston-engined plane anywhere near that far over water. A life raft
suitable for saving your ass would be around 50 to 80 pounds that would
be needed for fuel.

I wouldn't try it in anything smaller than a Lear jet.

Your mileage may very but I'm partial to saving my ass... ;o)

Tony