Old October 14th 04, 07:34 AM
C J Campbell

"Peter" wrote in message
news

Reading FAR/AIM 2004 it isn't entirely clear to me because different
sections refer to day and night cross country, and I don't think the
description of a day cross country applies to the night flight; the
distances are 150nm and 100nm respectively.

I have night flights with an instructor which exceed 100 miles in
total distance, and I have a solo night flight which exceeds 100nm
which was done between two airports whose direct line spacing is
119nm.

I suspect that the information on the basis of which I did the last
flight was bogus and I don't meet the FAA PPL requirement.

Can anyone suggest the FAR/AIM 2004 sections which could clarify this?

The solo night flight counts only if your instructor has conducted the
required training for student solo night flight required by FAR 61.87(o) and
specifically endorsed your logbook for student solo night flight; otherwise
the flight was illegal and cannot be used for meeting any aeronautical
experience requirements. FAR 61.109(a)(2)(i) says that your night training
must include a night cross country of 100 miles total distance. Since this
is training, not solo, your instructor must go with you.

You must also have a solo cross country flight of 150 miles total distance,
with three full stop landings and one segment between stops at least 50
miles long, per FAR 61.109(a)(5)(ii). This flight could be conducted at
night if your instructor has signed you off for solo night flight, but few
instructors will allow that and most students do the flight during the day.